What is WELARC?
Canadian Language Benchmark Placement Test
The Canadian Language Benchmarks Placement Test is an assessment used in Manitoba and across Canada to determine the English language communication skills a person has in four areas: listening, speaking, reading, and writing. This information is used to help make a decision about the appropriate referral to EAL classes. The test is NOT used for qualifying individuals for employment or for entrance to most University or College programs.
Who is eligible for Assessment?
Manitoba residents who are:
- Permanent residents of Canada
- Provincial Nominees (including spouses and adult children) who have received their letter of approval from Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC)
How long does the assessment take?
The assessment and referral process can take up to 3 hours.
What should you bring?
- Manitoba Health card
- Landing paper or permanent resident card (Immigration documents)
- Results from any other English Language test if you have taken one (IELTS, TOEFL, CanTEST)
What happens after the assessment?
WELARC's assessors will help you choose the English Language program that is best for you. They may also give you information about organizations such as:
- Employment preparation agencies
- Credential recognition programs
- Community supports
- Health and wellness resources
How do I take the test?
Call us to arrange an appointment: (204) 943-5387
Office Hours: Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday,and Friday: 8:30 am - 4:30 pm
Thursday: 8:30 am - 8:00 pm
Newcomers who are taking the ENTRY Program will have their assessment appointment arranged for them.
If you are a newcomer to Manitoba, first contact Manitoba START at at 271 Portage Avenue, 944-8830 for more information about services important to you and your family.
NewsNovember 19, 2013
Video of a WELARC Client's Experience